Project: Stop Being Lazy and make boost

Discussion in 'Showcase, Projects & Buildups' started by Largekid, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Hocky

Hocky Senior Member

And potentially kill bearings, ruining crank and/or block.

2. Stiles

Stiles Member

The ebay motor would be a start but I'm sure you'll be tearing it apart also instead of just slapping it in?

3. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

for sure. It would get new pistons/rods and a built head. A RB30 has always been a back burner plan of mine, but was planning on building one up slowly instead of this situation. If I can get that setup cheap, I would come out in real good shape. To get a new head, put in the cams/etx it would be ~2k I would guess. I will look into it more before I get all jumpy for sure.

4. b17what

b17what Senior Member

This, I put a head from a engine that threw a rod onto a perfectly good block with out hot tanking it. I "cleaned" it but 50 miles later it threw a rod too. Did this twice before realizing what was going on...

5. MR2TuRbZ

MR2TuRbZ Senior Member

Aluminum is soft, it'll be fine.

6. oldschoolmuscle

oldschoolmuscle Senior Member

2k for a head and a set of cams Wtf nismo motors

7. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

head, headgasket, timing belt set, cams, and probably valve train. And thats not accounting for the new head that wouldn't have the valve or port work my current one does.

8. apex

apex Member

It seems you gave yourself the best advice so far. Get it home, inspect the damage, then base your decisions on the outcome.

9. IMPULSE.ACTIONS

IMPULSE.ACTIONS Junior Member

LSx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End Thread :lol:

10. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

imma punch you in the dickhole

11. VWpat

VWpat Senior Member

that would be a small target to punch. Although, I am sure you have seen it several times, so you know right where to go.

12. oldschoolmuscle

oldschoolmuscle Senior Member

so did you get the car tore down yet ?

13. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

have not yet. Was thinkin about getting out there tonight and messing with it. The head from a visual standpoint dosent' seem as bad on the top. There are no awkward marks on the cams themselves, one slight wear mark on the exhaust journal, nothing on the intake. Cam broke at the very front, the part that the CAS slips into broke.

14. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

Well, decided to put my saturday to use. I went out to the car, got it back up in the air and started pulling it apart. Both V-Band clamps on the down pipe were stuck, I had to cut the lower one off. The upper one broke free once the downpipe was able to be moved. After that, the hot side was pretty simple. I ended up getting the hot side all apart, ate dinner, and took off the intake side on saturday. I tried to take the head studs off, but did not have a 12pt deep socket to remove them. Today, I met up with Acker and borrowed a set, and removed the head. 13mm 12pt for the ARP RB25 Head Studs if anyone ever needs to know, lol. I couldn't find a 100% answer anywhere, so now if anyone searches, maybe they find it here. Next step is to find a valve spring compressor tool and get the rest of the head apart so I can send it off to get checked. By visual inspection only, the pistons look fine. No marks, nothing on the piston walls, I feel pretty good about that. There are 2 exhaust valves that are obviously bent, not sure about the rest yet. The marks in the quench pads don't seem bad...but I'll let a professional tell me that. I'm not sure what the buildup is on the under side of the head. Looks like maybe burnt coolant, but i'm not sure. It could be common for all I know. Pictures below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kgriffin

Kgriffin Member

I also did this today. i didnt take pictures though

16. Hocky

Hocky Senior Member

That looks rough to me. Looks like it is using a lot of oil and knocking like crazy.

17. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

what makes you say that?

18. Hocky

Hocky Senior Member

The sludgy build up on some cylinders with speckling in it.

19. Largekid

Largekid Senior Member

Thats what I'd assume you would say. Must be the images then. There is no sludge or speckles. The black is carbon and wiped off almost 90% with a paper towel, the speckles are more of whatever is burning in the combustion chamber. To me it seems like coolant, but tyler said it could be E85. Now the random discoloration of the exhaust valves is a bit odd I think. And the fact one of them looks to have rust on it kinda concerns me.

20. s346k

s346k Senior Member

the only time I've seen coolant burning as such resulted in crystal clean parts.