Bardach Awards

Thread: 1997 vw golf gl wont start

Default 1997 vw golf gl wont start

1997 vw golf gl auto
    ok i picked this puppy up real cheap from a good family friend. the car needed the trans put in and that was it. The car came with an auto trans from a 00-02 jetta i believe. I put the trans in with relativity no problem bolted right up. well i have one plug that i cant find a spot for if i remember right its a red/black wire only. i went ahead and tried to start the car and i got nothing no attempt at cranking or anything. i then took a look at the starter and noticed there are two prongs on the end of the solenoid but they dont look like they have ever had anything on them can someone help me lol.

Any advise is really appreciated

ps battery is charged and i get lights and everything someone please help im running outta ideas
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1997 Nissan Maxima because fuck you
    1995 240sx se

man if i was there i could tell you where the connector goes, in what area is the connector, i never knew the 00-02 trans would interchange with the pre 200 bodies.
    07 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Farenheit --The Nice Car--
    99 Honda CBR600F4 --Daily Fun--
    99 Dodge Neon --Daily Driver--
    VW Certified Tech
    5 yrs VW Exp
    9 years all makes/all model exp
    Contact for VW/Audi Diagnostics and Coding

well i was told it would and it hooked up perfectly, the connector sits pretty close to the starter but i cant locate exactly where it plugs in i pushed it onto the starter prongs and i still didnt get any cranking or anything. where at on the east side do you live i could give ya some gas money lol i'm desperate
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

i live in lawrence, 465 and 56th/pendleton pike area. did you compare the 2 transmission before swapping them?? same starter as prior?
    07 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Farenheit --The Nice Car--
    99 Honda CBR600F4 --Daily Fun--
    99 Dodge Neon --Daily Driver--
    VW Certified Tech
    5 yrs VW Exp
    9 years all makes/all model exp
    Contact for VW/Audi Diagnostics and Coding

Quote Originally Posted by LetoCharles View Post
    i live in lawrence, 465 and 56th/pendleton pike area. did you compare the 2 transmission before swapping them?? same starter as prior?
    no it sucks the trans was already gone when i got the car. all the sensors from the old trans were put in the new one. and it sucks again i dont know about the starter ether See the car was handed to me with the trans put in kinda sideways not right so i dropped it and put it back in right.

ill ask tomorrow about if its the original starter
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

You should have a large wire on the starter and a small one the small one gets power when cranking the large one is hot all the time. Current comes to the small one through the neutral safety switch which will be near the gear selector on the trans.
    94 Porsche 968 1 of 1 iris blue/cashmere coupe
    86 porsche 951 12.3 with the old turbo and stock computer now sportin 60-1 turbo and standalone

Quote Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
    You should have a large wire on the starter and a small one the small one gets power when cranking the large one is hot all the time. Current comes to the small one through the neutral safety switch which will be near the gear selector on the trans.
    hmmm i may be missing the small one i will definitely check it out if i get a chance tomorrow thanks
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

Update: the neutral sensor is there and hooked up. I was screwing around and decided to see if I could turn the crank by hand. It struggled at first but then turned pretty easily. Then I tried pushing the mystery plug back on to one of the prongs on the starter. Turned the key and the car turned over. It won't start but the car has been sitting for a year and Im guessing the gas in it is bad. If I get a chance Tomorrow I'm going to try an empty the tank and put some fresh gas in it. Thanks for the advice given but please don't close this thread yet mods in case I can't get it started I'll just post back here
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

Blog Entries

Note...we dont close threads in this section like classifieds. They stay open forever more or less unless something gets out of hand.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/IndyCarz Get in the network now!
    "If I can't change when circumstances demand it, how can I expect others to?"
    First Place SCCA Street Mod Class 2008

update on this: ok the car has been started it runs great but now after it running for 30 seconds or so the oil pressure light begins to blink, its a constant blink. so i changed the oil pressure sensor and tried that and it still does the same thing any advice? im going to try and borrow an oil pressure gauge this weekend and see if i can tell if its getting pressure. i also did a fresh oil and filter change so gimmi some comments guys help me sell this thing
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

check out louisvillevw.org and register. its an audi/vw forum im apart of and can offer alot of help.

I would have suggested a local VW/Audi forum first....(even though I'm on there)

http://landofawesome.net/forum/index.php
    or
    http://uberdubs.com/boards/

at any rate, now that the shameless plugs are out of the way. Gas these day's doesn't go bad per say like it did years ago. I've started cars that have sat for 2-4 years with almost no issues. If you take the pump out you will need a new oring seal for it, the old one wont go back in and will create bizarre issues, trust me, I went through a few before I realized that stupid gasket was the problem back in my MK3 days.

Does the buzzer go off while it's flashing? These cars have a tendency to flash with a buzzer or without and each is a different thing. The buzzer is obviously worse, usually a pressure drop, so head gasket(super easy to do on the ABA) or the oil pump pickup and the engine shouldn't be running. The 2.0 oil pan sits up pretty high in so smacking that pan and causing damage to that region is generally unheard of for the 8v engine.

Just replace the rear window motors.
    teal egg with gold lips and a hair dryer

i fixed and sold this long ago guys but thanks for the input
    2003 Nissan Frontier
    1995 240sx se

ya i saw your post for the lambo wheels, i just recommend that site because i think it provides good information and im from the ville

Thread Information