PDA

View Full Version : Modem Fucking Up? Bad Hardware?

Edgar
01-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Is it possible for an actual Cable Modem to be fucking up so much that when you click on your browser that it shuts down?

Modem: Linksys BEFCMU10 ver 3

It's very obvious that when this is installed on my freshly reformated computer it fucks up. It isnt anything else that I can think of because I am on the computer now and it's working fine on my Wireless G connection.
(taking someone elses internet)

I cant seem to find the updated driver that works and I think this is an older modem now and it's sad.

Any nerdy recomendations so I can make this shit work properly.

BlackBoosted2
01-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Edgar, you have a lot of computer problems !

Edgar
01-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Hummm well it's only when I run XP
Ive just been having issues and I found the issue now i'm trying to solve it so STFU

BlackBoosted2
01-23-2008, 07:55 AM
:)

InductionSeduction
01-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Operator Error :D

BlackBoosted2
01-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Operator Error :D

mixed with mexican :eusa_dance:

Edgar
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
god you guys are fucking faggets

cszink
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
PEBCAK error.

cszink
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM
but honestly, that can't be the modem. The modem has no effect whatsoever on the computer software.

InductionSeduction
01-23-2008, 08:23 AM

Do you need help finding the power button?

civicdude116
01-23-2008, 08:39 AM

you didn't even spell faggot right!! lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot

BlackBoosted2
01-23-2008, 08:40 AM
:)

Adam240
01-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Is it possible for an actual Cable Modem to be fucking up so much that when you click on your browser that it shuts down?

Modem: Linksys BEFCMU10 ver 3

It's very obvious that when this is installed on my freshly reformated computer it fucks up. It isnt anything else that I can think of because I am on the computer now and it's working fine on my Wireless G connection.
(taking someone elses internet)

I cant seem to find the updated driver that works and I think this is an older modem now and it's sad.

Any nerdy recomendations so I can make this shit work properly.

When you click int Explorer the modem shuts down? If that is the case then you might just have a bad power supply. I have seen this a dozen times, as i have done service calls for Omnicity. When your putting a load on the modem(making it do more then just idle) It is not getting enough power to do more actions. I assume you are renting your modem from your ISP? Just call them up tell them your modem is turning off randomly. BTW who is your providor? Or if you bought this modem try to find another linksys powerpack that runs the same kind of power and change them out.

Faster
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
I had an old Linksys cable modem do that after a storm where the lights went out. I switched out the powerpack cord with a Palm charging cord, and that worked for a few months.

After that, I had mad intermittent sync problems, so I called and bitched out Comcast and they came and replaced my modem. :)

Edgar
01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
I have Insight which is now Comcast but I have my own modem.
I was thinking about buying a new one or hooking up a Router and just running my PC on wireless.

It has to be the modem or the drivers or something of that nature because it's just turning off randomly. It has nothing to do with the Power Supply. The computer has more then enough power running thru it.

cszink
01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Not the power supply on your computer, the power supply for the modem.

Adam240
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
It has nothing to do with the Power Supply. The computer has more then enough power running thru it.

LOL this makes me laugh. but cszink nailed it. the power cord from wall to modem might be bad. And if you used a router to go wireless you still need a modem to go from coax - Cat5 wire.

Edgar
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
The modem has worked and worked when I had Server 2003 plugged directly into the computer. So what are you recommending all bullshit aside? Get a new modem? Call it a day?

Faster
01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
In a word, yes.

Adam240
01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I would just rent one from comcast. That way if it does fuck up again they will replace it instead of you going out to by another one.

Edgar
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Yea, I will figure it out tonight after class.

Just really weird, you dont think it would be a bad driver to make the computer just restart like that, after I just uninstalled it under system divices problem just doesn't happened anymore.

civicdude116
01-23-2008, 06:21 PM

Just really weird, you dont think it would be a bad driver to make the computer just restart like that, after I just uninstalled it under system divices problem just doesn't happened anymore.

are you using the USB port from the router to PC, or ethernet? let me know if you decide to rent one from Comcast. I'll cut ya a deal so you won't have to pay for installation charges.

civicdude116
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM

unless you are using a USB from the modem to pc, you shouldn't have to uninstall or install anything. Coax goes into modem, and then ethernet from the modem to PC. My guess is that you are having a driver conflict with your NIC(network interface card) or your card is just going out. When your comp shuts down, are you getting the "blue screen of death"???

Edgar
01-23-2008, 07:48 PM
No I am not getting the blue screen anymore
after fresh reformat

Humm I connect the Modem to USB hummm

civicdude116
01-23-2008, 08:04 PM
No I am not getting the blue screen anymore
after fresh reformat

Humm I connect the Modem to USB hummm

if you are using USB and have a NIC. Then bypass the USB and run Cat5e(ethernet). This way no drivers are needed.

whatsthatnoise
01-23-2008, 09:06 PM
get a network card for like $5-$10 and see if that works, you will still need drivers for it. I had problems with usb modems before. also, just rent a modem from your isp. I have already gone through 3 in the past year from d/l stuff at 5mb/s for like a week straight. honestly, though, if your browser is just shutting down it sounds like a bad install to me. if it worked before, then you installed something else, then it stopped working well then there is your conflict.

Edgar
01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I might need an enthernet cable, I will try it out tomorrow.

whatsthatnoise
01-23-2008, 10:41 PM
after reading your post again i realized it is your modem shutting down and not your browser crashing. try the ethernet cable, then a modem power supply, then a new modem

civicdude116
01-23-2008, 10:59 PM
after reading your post again i realized it is your modem shutting down and not your browser crashing. try the ethernet cable, then a modem power supply, then a new modem

no its shutting down his PC.

Edgar
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok guys it was a driver issue, Jason is the fucking man.

Thanks AGain

EGJason
01-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Now install Team Fortress and fail your classes, it's worth it.

Edgar
01-23-2008, 11:23 PM
bwhahahaha

fucking homework

i hate it